Identification of internal dynamics of Türkiye’s furniture industry in the context of lean manufacturing integration maturity
- Yalın Üretim, Mobilya Endüstrisi, Uygulama Olgunluğu, Yalın Eğitimi, Modern Yönetim Teknikleri
- Lean Manufacturing, Furniture Industry, Integration Maturity, Lean Training, Modern Management Techniques
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022 Naile ANGIN- Çağatay TAŞDEMİR
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
This study's objective was to investigate lean manufacturing knowledge, awareness, and integration maturity in one of Türkiye's most significant furniture manufacturer clusters and discover the extent of tapped and untapped potential offered by lean manufacturing for the furniture industry. This study developed a survey-based data collection methodology consisting of five sections with different features. Seventy-five small to large enterprises were invited to participate in the study. Out of seventy-five, twenty-seven furniture manufacturers participated in the study. The study revealed that lean manufacturing awareness and integration maturity vary significantly. This variation could prove lean manufacturing is still far from becoming a mainstream modern management technique for members of the furniture manufacturing cluster in Bursa, Türkiye. According to 92.59% of the study participants, reducing manufacturing costs is the most common internal motivation that either triggered or has the potential to trigger lean manufacturing integration. Moreover, the amount of investment required (66.67%) to deploy lean manufacturing is the primary barrier encountered by the organizations, followed by a lack of training opportunities for workers with a percentage of 62.96%. This study was expected to serve as a valuable resource for academics and professionals intrigued by the extent of the relationship between lean manufacturing and Turkish furniture industry members.
- Abu, F., Gholami, H., Saman, M. Z. M., Zakuan, N., & Streimikiene, D. (2019). The implementation of lean manufacturing in the furniture industry: A review and analysis on the motives, barriers, challenges, and the applications. Journal of Cleaner Production, 234, 660–680.
- Adams, L. (2002). Get lean and improve quality. Quality, 41(10), 44.
- Åhlström, P. (1998). Sequences in the implementation of lean production. European Management Journal, 16(3), 327–334.
- Akgül, F. (2019). Yalın Altı Sigma: Mobilya Endüstrisinde Bir Araştırma. Fen Bilimleri Enstitüsü.
- Alzubi, E., Atieh, A. M., Abu Shgair, K., Damiani, J., Sunna, S., & Madi, A. (2019). Hybrid integrations of value stream mapping, theory of constraints and simulation: application to wooden furniture industry. Processes, 7(11), 816.
- Arumugam, V., Antony, J., & Douglas, A. (2012). Observation: a Lean tool for improving the effectiveness of Lean Six Sigma. The TQM Journal.
- Bamford, D., Forrester, P., Dehe, B., & Leese, R. G. (2015). Partial and iterative lean implementation: two case studies. International Journal of Operations & Production Management.
- Bortolotti, T., Boscari, S., & Danese, P. (2015). Successful lean implementation: Organizational culture and soft lean practices. International Journal of Production Economics, 160, 182–201.
- Boyer, M., & Sovilla, L. (2003). How to identify and remove the barriers for a successful lean implementation. Journal of Ship Production, 19(02), 116-120.
- Buehlmann, U., Espinoza, O., & Fricke, C. (2013). Adaptation of Lean in the wood industry. In Advances in Sustainable and Competitive Manufacturing Systems (pp. 1539–1551). Springer.
- Chaple, A. P., Narkhede, B. E., Akarte, M. M., & Raut, R. (2018). Modeling the lean barriers for successful lean implementation: TISM approach. International Journal of Lean Six Sigma.
- Coetzee, R., Van Dyk, L., & Van der Merwe, K. R. (2019). Towards addressing respect for people during lean implementation. International Journal of Lean Six Sigma.
- Coban, S. (2005). Kayseri Mobilya Sanayinin Diş Ticaret Yapisi Ve Sorunlarina Yönelik Bir Araştirma. Karamanoğlu Mehmetbey Üniversitesi Sosyal Ve Ekonomik Araştırmalar Dergisi, 2005(2), 73–82.
- Czabke, J., Hansen, E. N., & Doolen, T. L. (2008). A multisite field study of lean thinking in US and German sec ondary wood products manufacturers. Forest Products Journal, 58(9), 77.
- Delbridge, R. (2005). Workers under lean manufacturing. The essentials of the new workplace: A guide to the human impact of modern working practices, 15-32.
- Elkington, J. (1994). Towards the Sustainable Corporation: Win-Win-Win Business Strategies for Sustainable Development. California Management Review, 36(June 1992), 90–100. https://doi.org/10.2307/41165746
- Emiliani, B. (2008). The equally important “respect for people” principle. Real Lean: The Keys to Sustaining Lean Management, 3, 167–184.
- Farfan-Quintanilla, Z., Caira-Jimenez, M., Sotelo-Raffo, F., Raymundo-Ibañez, C., & Perez, M. (2020). Applying SLP in a lean manufacturing model to improve productivity of furniture SME. International Conference on Intelligent Human Systems Integration, 690–696.
- Feld, W. M. (2000). Lean manufacturing: tools, techniques, and how to use them. CRC press.
- França, S. L. B., Dias, D. F., Freitag, A. E. B., Quelhas, O. L. G., & Meiriño, M. J. (2018). Lean Manufacturing Application Analysis in the Inventory Management of a Furniture Industry. International Joint Conference on Industrial Engineering and Operations Management, 207–219.
- Fujimoto, T. (1999). The evolution of a manufacturing system at Toyota. Oxford university press.
- Gazo, R., & Quesada, H. J. (2005). A review of competitive strategies of furniture manufacturers. Forest Products Journal, 55(10), 4.
- Gazoli de Oliveira, A. L., & da Rocha, W. R. (2019). Productivity Improvement Through The Implementation Of Lean Manufacturing In A Medium-Sized Furniture Industry: A Case Study. South African Journal of Industrial Engineering, 30(4), 172–188.
- Gören, H. G. (2016). Yalın üretim için değer akış haritalandırma ve simülasyon: Mobilya sektöründe bir uygulama. Pamukkale Üniversitesi Mühendislik Bilimleri Dergisi, 23(4), 462–469.
- Gürpınar, K., & Barca, M. (2007). Türk Mobilya Sektörünün Uluslararası Rekabet Gücü Düzeyi ve Nedenleri. Eskişehir Osmangazi Üniversitesi İİBF Dergisi, 2(2), 41–61.
- Hines, P., Holweg, M., & Rich, N. (2004). Learning to evolve: a review of contemporary lean thinking. International journal of operations & production management.
- Hobbs, D. P. (2003). Lean manufacturing implementation: a complete execution manual for any size manufacturer. J. Ross Publishing.
- Hunter, S. L., Bullard, S., & Steele, P. H. (2004). Lean production in the furniture industry: The double D assembly cell. Forest Products Journal, 54(4), 32.
- IMOS. (2019). Rakamlarla Inegol. https://www.imos.org.tr/
- IPCC. (2014). Climate Change 2014 Mitigation of Climate Change - Working Group III Contribution to the Fifth Assessment Report of the Change Intergovernmental Panel on Climate (O. Edenhofer & T. Z. and J. C. M. (eds. . R. Pichs-Madruga, Y. Sokona, E. Farahani, S. Kadner, K. Seyboth, A. Adler, I. Baum, S. Brunner, P. Eickemeier, B. Kriemann, J. S (eds.)). Cambridge University Press. https://doi.org/10.1017/CBO9781107415416
- Kahraman, K. (2018). Mobilya Tarihi. İnegöl Mobilyacılar ve Marangozlar Odası Özel Yayınları.
- Karşıyaka, O., & Sütçü, A. (2019). Mobilya Üretim Süreçlerinde Verimliliği Artırmaya Yönelik 5S Uygulamaları. Bilge International Journal of Science and Technology Research, 3(2), 87–101.
- Lander, E., & Liker, J. K. (2007). The Toyota Production System and art: making highly customized and creative products the Toyota way. International Journal of Production Research, 45(16), 3681–3698.
- Liker, J. K. (1997). Becoming lean: Inside stories of US manufacturers. CRC Press.
- Lukrafka, T. O., Silva, D. S., & Echeveste, M. (2020). A geographic picture of Lean adoption in the public sector: Cases, approaches, and a refreshed agenda. European Management Journal, 38(3), 506–517.
- Melton, T. (2005). The benefits of lean manufacturing: what lean thinking has to offer the process industries. Chemical Engineering Research and Design, 83(6), 662–673.
- Ohno, T. (1988). Toyota production system: beyond large-scale production. crc Press.
- Quesada-Pineda, H., Haviarova, E., & Slaven, I. (2009). A value stream mapping analysis of selected wood products companies in Central America. Journal of Forest Products Business Research, 6.
- Raymond, A. (2002). Battling the challenge of foreign imports. Mid American WoodWorking Expo, Columbus, OH. Retrieved on July, 1, 2005.
- Rose, A. N. M., Deros, B. M., & Rahman, M. N. A. (2013). Lean manufacturing practices implementation in Malaysian's SME automotive component industry. In Applied Mechanics and Materials (Vol. 315, pp. 686-690). Trans Tech Publications Ltd.
- Roser, C. (2016). Faster, better, cheaper in the history of manufacturing: from the stone age to lean manufacturing and beyond. CRC Press.
- Sabri, S., & Shayan, E. (2004). Lean strategies for furniture manufacturing. Proceedings of the Fifth Asia Pacific Industrial Engineering and Management System Conference, 1–8.
- Sahoo, S., & Yadav, S. (2018). Lean production practices and bundles: a comparative analysis. International Journal of Lean Six Sigma.
- Salah, S., Rahim, A., & Carretero, J. A. (2010). The integration of Six Sigma and lean management. International Journal of Lean Six Sigma.
- Seebode, D., Jeanrenaud, S., & Bessant, J. (2012). Managing innovation for sustainability. R&D Management, 42(3), 195–206.
- Stonebraker, P. W., & Afifi, R. (2004). Toward a contingency theory of supply chains. Management Decision.
- Sundar, R., Balaji, A. N., & Kumar, R. S. (2014). A review on lean manufacturing implementation techniques. Procedia Engineering, 97(1), 1875–1885.
- Tasdemir, C., & Gazo, R. (2018). A Systematic Literature Review for Better Understanding of Lean Driven Sustainability. Sustainability, 10(7), 2544. https://doi.org/10.3390/su10072544
- Van Dun, D. H., Hicks, J. N., & Wilderom, C. P. M. (2017). Values and behaviors of effective lean managers: Mixed-methods exploratory research. European Management Journal, 35(2), 174–186.
- Velarde, G. J., Pirraglia, A., Van Dyk, H., & Saloni, D. E. (2011). Lean Manufacturing in the US South Atlantic Region: An overview of the current state of implementation in the secondary wood industry. International Wood Products Journal, 2(1), 30–37.
- Vilkas, M., Koreckaja, I., Katiliūtė, E., & Bagdonienė, D. (2015). Adoption of lean production: Preliminary evidence from Lithuania. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 213, 884-889.
- Williams, K., Haslam, C., Williams, J., Cultler, T., Adcroft, A., & Johal, S. (1992). Against lean production. Economy and Society, 21(3), 321–354.
- Wilson, L. (2010). How to implement lean manufacturing. McGraw-Hill New York.
- Yadav, G., & Desai, T. N. (2016). Lean Six Sigma: a categorized review of the literature. International Journal of Lean Six Sigma.