Factors influencing the adoption of wearable technology products: An application on smartwatches
- Giyilebilir Teknoloji, Akıllı Saat, Değer Temelli Benimseme Teorisi
- Wearable Technology, Smartwatch, Value-based Adoption Model
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022 Saadet Sağtaş- Mustafa Aslan
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
In recent years, with the interest of consumers and increasing investments, wearable technology products have gained an important position in the technology market. The importance of wearable technology products is expected to increase by determining the factors that affect consumers' adoption of wearable devices and the investments made for these factors. The study aims to determine the factors that affect the adoption of wearable technology products. The study examined the use of smartwatches within value-based adoption theory. For this purpose, the data obtained from 354 participants were analysed with the SmartPLS 3.2.8 program. Confirmatory factor analysis was performed to test the model established in the study. Study results indicate that no positive effect of the perceived privacy risk and the perceived fee on the perceived value was found. It is expected that the study will contribute to the relevant literature and subsequent studies and provide benefits to the “application developers” on the subject.
- Arifah, I. D. C. & Juniarti, R. P. (2021). Interface Aesthetic, Perceived Value, Perceived Ease of Use, and Perceived Usefulness on Purchase Intention of Smartwatch Consumers. Advances in Economics, Business and Management Research, 177, 25-33.
- Alev, A. D. A. ve Aksoy, R. (2020). Giyilebilir teknolojik ürünlerde tüketicilerin algıladıkları risklerin farklılaşması: Akıllı saat kullanıcılarına dönük bir araştırma. Herkes için Spor ve Rekreasyon Dergisi, 2(1), 50-61.
- Balachandran, S. (2007). The Customer Centricity Culture: Drivers for Sustainable Profit. Cost Management, 21(6), 12-19.
- Bölen, M. C. ve Çeliker, O. (2021). Paylaşımlı Elektrikli Scooter Hizmetlerini Kullanma Niyetinde Etkili Olan Faktörler. Atatürk Üniversitesi İktisadi ve İdari Bilimler Dergisi, 35(3), 1101-1123.
- Bernard, H.R. (2006). Research methods in anthropology:gualitv and guantitative approaches. Lanham, MD: Altamira Press.
- Cadden, D. T. & Lueder, S. L. (2012). Modern Management of Small Businesses. Erişim Adresi: https://2012books.lardbucket.org/books/modern-management-of-small-businesses/. Erişim Tarihi: 16.01.2022.
- Davis, F. D. (1989). Perceived Usefulness, Perceived Ease of Use, and User Acceptance of Information Technology. MIS Quarterly, 13(3), 319–340. https://doi.org/10.2307/249008.
- Davis, D. Bagozzi, P. & Warshaw, R. Paul (1989). User Acceptance of Computer Technology: A Comparison of Two Theoretical Models. Management Science, 35 (8), 982-1003.
- Davis D, Bagozzi RP & Warshaw PR. (1992). Extrinsic and intrinsic motivation to use computers in the workplace. Journal of Appl Soc Psychol, 22(14), 1111–1132.
- Dehghani, M. (2018). Exploring the motivational factors on continuous usage intention of smartwatches among actual users. Behaviour & Information Technology, 35 (42), 145-158.
- Dehghani, M., Kim, K. J. & Dangelico, R. M. (2018). Will smartwatches last? factors contributing to intention to keep using smart wearable technology. Telematics and Informatics, 35 (2), 480-490.
- Dutot, V., Bhatiasevi, V. & Bellallahom, N. (2019). Applying the technology acceptance model in a three-countries study of smartwatch adoption. The Journal of High Technology Management Research, 30(1), 1-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hitech.2019.02.001.
- Evans, J. R. & Berman, B. (2001). Conceptualizing and operationalizing the business-to-business value chain. Industrial Marketing Management, 30(2), 135-148.
- Gao, Y., Li, H. & Luo, Y. (2015). An empirical study of wearable technology acceptance in healthcare. Industrial Management & Data Systems, 115(9), 1704-1723. https://doi.org/10.1108/IMDS-03-2015-0087.
- Ghazali, E.M., Mutum, D.S., Pua, M.H.-J., & Ramayah, T. (2020). Status-quo satisfaction and smartwatch adoption: a multi-group analysis. Industrial Management & Data Systems, 120(12), 2319-2347. https://doi.org/10.1108/IMDS-10-2019-0576
- Gürbüz, S., ve Şahin, F. (2018). Sosyal bilimlerde araştırma yöntemleri. Ankara: Seckin Yayincilik.
- Hair, J.F., Tomas, G., Hult, M., Ringle, C.M., & Sarstedt, M. (2014), A Primer on Partial Least Square Structural Equations Modeling (PLS-SEM), Los Angeles: Sage.
- Holbrook, M.B. (1994) The Nature of Customer’s Value: An Axiology of Service in Consumption Experience. Rust, R.T. ve Oliver, R.L. (Editörler) Service Quality: New Directions in Theory and Practice, Sage, Thousand Oaks, 21-71. http://dx.doi.org/10.4135/9781452229102.n2.
- Hong, J-C., Lin, P-H. & Hsieh, P-C. (2017). The effect of consumer innovativeness on perceived value and continuance intention to use smartwatch. Computers in Human Behavior, 67(3), 264-272, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2016.11.001.
- Hsiao, K.-L. (2017). What drives smartwatch adoption intention? Comparing Apple and non-Apple watches. Library Hi Tech, 35(1), 186-206. https://doi.org/10.1108/LHT-09-2016-0105.
- Hsu, C. L., & Lin, J. C. C. (2018). Exploring factors affecting the adoption of internet of things services. Journal of Computer information systems, 58(1), 49-57.
- Kim, K. J. (2016). Round or Square? How Screen Shape Affects Utilitarian and Hedonic Motivations for Smartwatch Adoption. Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking, 19(12), 733-739.
- Kim, H.-W., Chan, H. C., & Gupta, S. (2007). Value-based Adoption of Mobile Internet: An empirical investigation. Decision Support Systems, 43(1), 111–126.
- Kim, Y., & Srivastava, J. L. B. (2007). Impact of social influence in ecommerce decision making. Proceedings of the ninth international conference on Electronic commerce, August 19–22, 2007, 293–302.
- Kline, R. B. (2011). Convergence of structural equation modeling and multilevel modeling. Williams, M. & Vogt, W. P. (Editörler). The SAGE Handbook of Innovation in Social Research Methods (s. 562-589), Thousand Oaks: Sage Publications
- Krey, N., Chuah, S.H.-W., Ramayah, T., & Rauschnabel, P.A. (2019). How functional and emotional ads drive smartwatch adoption: The moderating role of consumer innovativeness and extraversion. Internet Research, 29(3), 578-602. https://doi.org/10.1108/IntR-12-2017-0534.
- Kumar, S. (2017). Technologıcal and Business Perspective Of Wearable Technology. Yayınlanmamış Doktora Tezi. Centria University of Applied Sciences, Kokkola, Finlandiya.
- Kutlu, Ö. (2021). Giyilebilir teknoloji: Akıllı saat kullanımına yönelik bir araştırma, Yüksek lisans, tezi, Çanakkale Onsekiz mart Üniversitesi, Çanakkale, Türkiye.
- Lin, K.Y. & Lu, HP. (2011). Why people use social networking sites: An empirical study integrating network externalities and motivation theory. Computer Human Behaviour, 27(3), 1152–1161.
- Marangoz, M. & Aydın E.A. (2018). Tüketicilerin giyilebilir teknoloji ürünlerini benimsemesinde etkili olan faktörler: akıllı saatler üzerine bir araştırma. Pazarlama Teorisi Dergisi, 4(1), 1-20.
- Miorandi D, Sicari S, Pellegrini FD, & Chlamtac I. 2012. Internet of things: Vision, applications and research challenges. Ad Hoc Networks 10, 1497–1516.
- Özbekler, T. M. (2019). Perakende Sektöründe Hizmet İnovasyonu: Algılanan Değer, Müşteri Memnuniyeti ve Davranışsal Niyet Açısından Bir Çalışma. Girişimcilik ve İnovasyon Yönetimi Dergisi /Journal of Entrepreneurship and Innovation Management - JEIM , 8(2), 97-125.
- Pandit, A. P., Karpen, I. O., & Josiassen, A. (2008). The Impact of Perceived Risk on Consumer Purchase Posponoment, Erişim Adresi: http://www.anzmac2008.org/ , Erişim Tarihi: 05.01.2022.
- Park, N., Roman, R., Lee, S., & Chung, J.E. (2009). User Acceptance of a Digital Library System in Developing Countries: An Application of the Technology Acceptance Model. International Journal of Information Management, 29 (2), 196-209.
- Podsakoff, P. M., & Organ, D. W. (1986). Self-reports in organizational research: Problems and prospects. Journal of Management, 12(4), 531–544. https://doi.org/10.1177/014920638601200408.
- Ramkumar, B., & Liang, Y. (2020). How do smartwatch price and brand awareness drive consumer perceptions and purchase intention? A perceived value approach. International Journal of Technology Marketing, 14(2), 199–225.
- Ringle, C.M., Wende, S., & Becker, J.M. (2015), SmartPLS 3. Erişim Adresi: www.smartpls.com. Erişim Tarihi: 25.12.2021.
- Rogers, E. (2003). Diffusion of innovations. revised. New York: Simon & Schuster.
- Roostika R. (2012). Mobile internet acceptance among university students: A value-based adoption model. Int J Res Manage Technol, 2(1), 21–28.
- Saygılı, M. & Yalçıntekin, T. (2021). The effect of hedonic value, utilitarian value, and customer satisfaction in predicting repurchase intention and willingness to pay a price premium for smartwatch brands. Management, 26 (2), 179-195. https://doi.org/10.30924/mjcmi.26.2.10.
- Siepmann, C. & Kowalczuk, P. (2021). Understanding continued smartwatch usage: the role of emotional as well as health and fitness factors. Electronic Markets, 31 (4), 1-15.
- Schierz, G. P., Schilke, O. & Wirtz, B.W. (2010). Understanding Consumer Acceptance of Mobile Payment Services: An Empirical Analysis. Electronic Commerce Research and Applications, 9(2), 209-216.
- Statista, (2020). Number of social media users worldwide. Statista. Erişim Adresi: https://www.statista.com/statistics/278414/number-of-worldwide-social-network-users/. Erişim Tarihi 19.01.2020.
- Seth, J. N., Newman, B. I. & Gross, B. L. (1991). Consumption Values and Market Choice: Theory and Applications. Cincinnati, OH: Southwest Publishing.
- Sledgianowski D., & Kulviwat S. (2009). Using social network sites: The effects of playfulness, critical mass and trust in a hedonic context. J Comput Inf Syst, 49 (1), 74–83.
- Sweeney, J. C., & Soutar, G. N. (2001). Consumer perceived value: The development of amultiple item scale. Journal of Retailing, 77(2), 203–220.
- Trout, J. (2006). Peter Drucker on Marketing. Forbes, 3 Temmuz 2006, Erişim Adresi: https://www.forbes.com/2006/06/30/jack-trout-on-marketing-cx_jt_0703drucker.html. Erişim Tarihi: 16.01.2022.
- Turel O, Serenko A. & Bontis N. (2007). User acceptance of wireless short messaging services: Deconstructing perceived value. Inf Manage 44 (2), 63–73.
- Venkatesh, V., Morris, M. G., Davis, G. B., & Davis, F. D. (2003). User acceptance of information technology: Toward a unified view. MIS Quarterly: Management Information Systems, 27(3), 425–478.
- Venkatesh, V., Speier C., & Morris M.G. (2002). User acceptance enablers in individual decision making about technology: Toward an integrated model. Decis Sci, 33(2), 297–315.
- Visuri, A., Van Berkel, N., Goncalves, J., Rawassizadeh, R., Ferreira, D., & Kostakos, V. (2021). Understanding usage style transformation during long-term smartwatch use. Personal and Ubiquitous Computing, 25 (3) 535-459.
- Woodall, T. (2003). Conceptualising ‘value for the customer’: an attributional, structural and dispositional analysis. Academy of marketing science review, 12(1), 1-42.