NFT world within the context of transmedia storytelling
- Transmedya Hikâye Anlatıcılığı, NFT, Kripto Sanat, Pazarlama İletişimi
- Transmedia Storytelling, NFT, Crypto Art, Marketing Communication
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022 Görkem İldaş
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Filmmakers, writers, advertisers, public relations specialists, game designers, digital creators —in brief, all storytellers are increasingly using transmedia narrative elements to reach their target audiences. This study discusses how the narrative genre of transmedia storytelling, which expands in many fields from art to education, from literature to marketing, will contribute to NFTs (Non-Fungible Token), which are digital assets that express works of art connected to block-chain technology. The study's primary purpose is to discuss the world of NFT within the framework of transmedia storytelling. This study, based on a literature review, aims to discuss NFT with transmedia storytelling and current NFT examples. The world of NFT (Non-Fungible Token), which has made a name for itself in the last few years and has very few studies in the literature, is also a world not far from transmedia storytelling due to its structural features. Digitization, which has led to permanent changes from art production to the consumer experience meeting with art, has finally entered our lives with NFT —as a sub-version of coins and tokens that can be defined as digital money. NFTs, which can be defined as digital passports, offer the user the opportunity to travel the digital world by blending different platforms, precisely like transmedia storytelling. It has been understood that transmedia narrative can contribute to the world of NFT, while NFTs can also be a tool used in transmedia storytelling as a narrative tool. Both are concepts fueled by multimedia, storytelling, gamification strategies and communities. At this point, it has been determined that there are many areas that they can transform and contribute when they meet on common ground. The literature review determines that the importance of NFTs having a story universe for the development of the NFT ecosystem has been highlighted. In this regard, it is essential to spread the stories of NFTs through different tools such as digital games, applications, fan culture, websites and make the buyer a part of the universe, just as in transmedia storytelling. It is anticipated that more research will be conducted on this subject in the upcoming years, as an important market will emerge in the field with the proliferation and adoption of the production of NFTs. This study is thought to be one of the pioneering studies in this aspect since it is rarely found in the literature that discusses this subject with transmedia storytelling.
This study examines how the transmedia storytelling narrative genre, which has a place in many fields from art to education, from the world of literature to marketing, will contribute to NFTs, which are digital assets that express works of art connected to blockchain technology. The primary goal of the study is to discuss whether NFTs can be approached within the framework of transmedia storytelling. This study, which is based on a literature review, aims to address NFT with transmedia storytelling and to discuss it through current examples.
It has been understood that transmedia narrative can contribute to the world of NFT, while NFTs can also be a tool used in transmedia storytelling as a narrative tool. Both are concepts fueled by the use of multimedia, storytelling, gamification strategies and communities. At this point, it has been determined that there are many areas that they can transform and contribute when they meet on a common ground. It is anticipated that more research will be conducted on this subject in the upcoming years, as an important market will emerge in the field with the proliferation and adoption of production of NFTs. This study is thought to be one of the pioneering studies in this aspect, since it is almost never found in the literature that this subject is discussed together with transmedia storytelling.
- Anadol, R. (2021). The NFT collection sold for $5.1m !. Twitter. Erişim Adresi: https://twitter.com/refikanadol/status/1445239940837740546, Erişim Tarihi: 15.12.2021
- Arapoğlu, F. (2021). Sanatta Aktüel Gündem: Kripto Sanat (NFT). Aurum Journal of Social Sciences. 6(1), 91-93.
- Artun, A. (2011). Sanat Manifestoları Avangard Sanat ve Direniş, İstanbul, İletişim Yayınları.
- Batmaz, V. (2006). Medya Popüler Kültürü Gizler, İstanbul, Karakutu Yayınları.
- Binark, M. (2007). Yeni Medya. Gençlik ve Gündelik Yaşam, Evrensel Kültür. 24-28.
- Boag, D., ve Rich, J. (2020). Nike’s Dec 2019 patent reveals revolutionary NFT use. Medium. Erişim Adresi: https://nftnyc.medium.com/nikes-dec-2019-patent-reveals-revolutionary-nft-use-a74c115bd0c
- Bourdieu, P. (2006). Sanatın Kuralları. Yapı Kredi Yayınları, İstanbul.
- Bourdieu, P., ve Wacquant, L. (2012). Düşünümsel Bir Antropoloji İçin Cevaplar. İletişim Yayınları, İstanbul.
- Brieger, C. (2013). Exploring new communication strategies for a global brand: Transmedia storytelling and gamification (Master's thesis).
- Brown, A. (2021). Facebook Expects Metaverse Project Will Cost At Least $10Billion in 2021 Alone. Forbes, Erişim Adresi: https://www.forbes.com/sites/abrambrown/2021/10/25/facebook-expects-metaverse-project-will-cost-at-least-10-billion-in-2021-alone/?sh=7f0b32a525b4, Erişim Tarihi: 20 Aralık 2021
- Bsteh, S. (2021). From Painting to Pixel: Understanding NFT artworks.
- Choi, H. S., & Kim, S. H. (2017). A content service deployment plan for metaverse museum exhibitions—Centering on the combination of beacons and HMDs. International Journal of Information Management, 37(1), 1519-1527.
- Çifteci, V. (2018). Geçmişten Geleceğe Kendiliğe Bir Bakış: Özgünlük, Zaman ve Özgürlük. MetaZihin: Yapay Zekâ ve Zihin Felsefesi Dergisi, 1(2), 195-210.
- Davis, A., Murphy, J. D., Owens, D., Khazanchi, D., & Zigurs, I. (2009). Avatars, people, and virtual worlds: Foundations for research in metaverses. Journal of the Association for Information Systems, 10(2), 90.
- Dobrilova, T. (2021). İstatistiklerle 2021’de oyun sektörü. Campaign Türkiye. Erişim Adresi: https://www.campaigntr.com/istatistiklerle-2021de-oyun-sektoru/, Erişim Tarihi: 17.12.2021.
- Dursun, N. (2021). NFT/kripto sanat ve hareketli grafik ilişkisi. Sciences, 7(40), 1037-1055.
- Falzon, C., (2012). “Brand Development and Transmedia Production: The Geofreakz Case Study”, Journalism and Mass Communication, 2 (9): 925-938.
- Fang, Z., Cai, L., ve Wang, G. (2021, June). MetaHuman Creator The starting point of the metaverse. In 2021 International Symposium on Computer Technology and Information Science (ISCTIS), 154-157.
- Franceschet, M., Colavizza, G., Smith, T., Finucane, B., Ostachowski, M. L., Scalet, S., … Hernández Sebástian. (2020). Crypto art: a decentralized view. Leonardo, 1-8.
- Guadagno, R. E., Blascovich, J., Bailenson, J. N., & McCall, C. (2007). Virtual humans and persuasion: The effects of agency and behavioral realism. Media Psychology, 10(1), 1-22.
- Gururaj, H. L., Manoj Athreya, A., Kumar, A. A., Holla, A. M., Nagarajath, S. M., & Ravi Kumar, V. (2020). Block-chain: A new era of technology. Cryptocurrencies and Blockchain Technology Applications, 1-24.
- Howcroft, E. (2021). NFT sales volume surges to $2.5 bln in 2021 first half. Reuters. Erişim Adresi: https://www.reuters.com/technology/nft-sales-volume-surges-25-bln-2021-first-half-2021-07-05/, Erişim Tarihi: 28.12.2021.
- İspir, N., ve Bilginer Kucur, A. (2019). Yakınsama Kültürü ve Transmedya Hikâye Anlatıcılığı. Kurgu, 27(2), 161-171.
- İspir, N., ve Bilginer Kucur, A. (2021). Yakınsama Kültürü, Transmedya Hikâye Anlatıcılığı: Angry Birds Kurgusal Evreni. Atatürk Üniversitesi Sosyal Bilimler Enstitüsü Dergisi, 25 (1), 37-54.
- Jenkins, H. (2006). Convergence culture: Where old and new media collide. Revista Austral de Ciencias Sociales, 20, 129-133.
- Jenkins, H. (2006). Welcome to Convergence Culture. Erişim Adresi: http://henryjenkins.org/blog/2006/06/welcome_to_convergence_culture.html, Erişim Tarihi: 29.12.2021.
- Jones, N. (2021). Scientists Embrace Digital Craze For Non-Fungible Tokens. Nature, Sayı: 594, 481-482.
- Kinder, M. (1991). Playing with power in movies, television, and video games. University of California Press.
- Kuspit, D. (2010). Sanatın Sonu. Metis Yayınları, İstanbul.
- Lee, A. (2021). With the Metaverse hype cycle at full blast, experts take the long view, Erişim Adresi: https://digiday.com/marketing/with-the-metaverse-hype-cycle-at-full-blast-experts-take-the-long-view/, Erişim Tarihi: 22.12.2021.
- Lewis, A. (2021). Bitcoin ve Blokzincirin Temelleri. Scala Yayıncılık, İstanbul.
- Levy, P. (1997). Collective Intelligence: Mankind's Emerging World in Cyberspace. Cambridge: Perseus Books.
- Nadini, M., Alessandretti, L., Di Giacinto, F., Martino, M., Aiello, L. M., ve Baronchelli, A. (2021). Mapping the NFT revolution: market trends, trade networks and visual features. arXiv preprint arXiv:2106.00647.
- Özrili, Y. (2021). Olmayan Müze: Kripto Sanat. Turizm Çalışmaları Dergisi. 3(1), 1-14.
- Sparkes, M. (2021). What is a metaverse. New Scientist, Cilt: 251, Sayı: 3348, 18.
- Sotheby’s. (2021). 101 Bored Ape Yacht Club, Erişim Adresi: https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auction/2021/ape-in/101-bored-ape-yacht-club, Erişim Tarihi: 22.12.2021.
- Şenkardeş, C., (2021). Block-chain technology and NFT’s: a review in music industry. Journal of Management, Marketing and Logistics (JMML), 8(3), 154-163.
- The Bharat Express News. (2021). We havent even started to harness the potential of NFTs. Erişim Adresi: https://www.thebharatexpressnews.com/we-havent-even-started-to-harness-the-potential-of-nfts/, Erişim Tarihi: 9.12.2021.
- The Verge. (2021). Beeple sold an NFT for $69 million. Erişim Adresi: https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/11/22325054/beeple-christies-nft-sale-cost-everydays-69-million, Erişim Tarihi: 20.12.2021.
- Thompson, D. (2011). Sanat Mezat, İletişim Yayınları, İstanbul
- Timisi, N. (2003). Yeni iletişim teknolojileri ve demokrasi. Dost Kitabevi, İstanbul.
- Treiblmaier, H. (2021). Beyond block-chain: How tokens trigger the internet of value and what marketing researchers need to know about them. Journal of Marketing Communications, 1-13.
- T24. (2021). Refik Anadol'un NFT Koleksiyonu 5,1 milyon dolara satıldı. Erişim Adresi: https://t24.com.tr/haber/refik-anadol-un-nft-koleksiyonu-5-1-milyon-dolara-satildi,983456, Erişim Tarihi: 28.12.2021.
- Valeonti, F., Bikakis, A., Terras, M., Speed, C., Hudson-Smith, A., & Chalkias, K. (2021). Crypto Collectibles, Museum Funding and OpenGLAM: Challenges, Opportunities and the Potential of Non-Fungible Tokens (NFTs). Applied Sciences, 11(21), 9931.
- Versprille, A. (2022). NFT Market Surpassed $40 Billion in 2021, New Estimate Shows. Erişim Adresi: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-01-06/nft-market-surpassed-40-billion-in-2021-new-estimate-shows, Erişim Tarihi: 10.01.2022.
- Wilson, K. B., Karg, A., & Ghaderi, H. (2021). Prospecting non-fungible tokens in the digital economy: Stakeholders and ecosystem, risk and opportunity. Business Horizons.
- Yang, B., & Zisiadis, M. (2014). Transmedia marketing: strengthening multiplatform user participation through storytelling.
- Yıldırım, S. (2021). Dijital Dünyada Yeni Sanat İletişimi ve Tüketim Kültürü Bağlamında Piyasa Anlayışları. MAS Journal of Applied Sciences. 6(2), 388–405.
- Zeilinger, M. (2018). Digital art as ‘monetised graphics’: Enforcing intellectual property on the block-chain. Philosophy & Technology, 31(1), 15-41.