Underpricing anomaly in initial public offerings: A research on 2021 initial public offerings performed in Borsa Istanbul
- İlk Halka Arz, Düşük Fiyatlama, Fiyat Anomalisi, Borsa İstanbul, t-testi
- IPO, Underpricing, Price Anomaly, Borsa Istanbul, t-test
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022 Mustafa Özyeşil
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
One of the most common anomalies related to price performance in initial public offerings (IPOs) is short-term underpricing and long-term underperformance anomalies. There are many studies on these anomalies conducted in the previous literature. This article's primary purpose is to contribute to this existing academic research by examining the underpricing for the IPOs made in Borsa Istanbul during 2021. For this purpose, 32 initial public offerings performed in Borsa Istanbul in 2021 as of the analysis date are examined. In the analysis, the first day, the first three days and the first seven days after the issuance are described as the short-term. Based on empirical findings, no short-period underpricing is detected for all public offerings performed in Borsa Istanbul in 2021. In other words, it can be concluded that investors can't earn residual (abnormal) returns by purchasing stocks from these public offerings in a short period.
- Altun, U., O. (1992). Sermaye Piyasalarında Etkinlik: İstanbul Menkul Kıymetler Borsası Üzerine Fiyat Etkinliği Testi, Sermaye Piyasası Araştırma Dairesi, Yeterlilik Etüdü, 1-190.
- Anand, R. & Singh, B. (2019). Effect of Composition of Board and Promoter Group Retained Ownership on Underpricing of Indian IPO firms: An Empirical Study, Indian Journal of Corporate Governance, 12(1), pp. 21-38. DOI: 10.1177/0974686219836539
- Asquith, P. & Mullins, D. W. (1986). Equity Issues And Offering Dilution. Journal of Financial Economics, (15). 61 - 89.
- Baron, D. P. & Holmström, B. (1980). The Investment Banking Contract For New Issues Under Asymmetric Information: Delegation And The Incentive Problem. The Journal of Finance, 35 (5). 1115 - 1138.
- Bayraktar, A. (2012). Efficient Markets Hypothesis, Journal of Aksaray University Faculty of Economics and Administrative Sciences, 4 (1), 37-47.
- Brown, S.J. & Warner, J.B. (1985). Using daily stock returns: The case of event studies, Journal of Financial Economics, 14 (1), 3-31.
- Elmas, B. & Amanianganeh, M. (2013). Bist'de Halka Açilan Şirketlerde Düşük Fiyatlama Anomalisine Etki Edebilen Değişkenlerin Analizi: 1995-2010 Dönemi, Afyon Kocatepe Üniversitesi, İİBF Dergisi, 15(2), 217-241.
- Fama, E.(1969), Efficient Capital Markets: A Review of Theory and Empirical Work, The Journal of Finance, Vol. 25, No. 2, Papers and Proceedings of the Twenty-Eighth Annual Meeting of the American Finance Association New York, pp. 383-417. http://www.jstor.org/stable/2325486
- Gandolfi, G., Regalli, M., Soana, M., G. & Arcuri, M., C. (2018). Underpricing And Long-Term Performance of IPOs: Evidence From European Intermediary Oriented Markets, Economics, Management, and Financial Markets, 3(1), 11-36.
- Iding, P. (2016). An analysis of the ownership structure in regards to the phenomenon underpricing for German IPOs, 7th IBA Bachelor Thesis Conference, Enschede, The Netherlands.
- Kaderli, Y. & Demir, S.(2008). Düşük Fiyatlandırılmış Halka Arz Firma Kalitesinin Bir Göstergesi mi?, The Journal of Accounting and Finance, 37, 107-115.
- Kahraman, İ. & K., Coşkun, E. (2020). İlk Halka Arzda Düşük Fiyatlama Seviyesi Zamanla Değişiyor mu? Borsa İstanbul Üzerine Bir Araştırma, 34(1), pp.141-161. https://doi.org/10.16951/atauniiibd.620084
- Kaya, E. İlk Halka Arzda Fiyatlama ve İşlem Hacmi, Scientific Developments, Gece Akademi, Ankara, 2019.
- Korkmaz, İ. (2016). İlk Halka Arzda Düşük Fiyatlama Olgusu ve Borsa İstanbul’da Düşük Fiyatlamanın Belirleyicileri, Yüksek Lisans Tezi , Pamukkale Üniversitesi Sosyal Bilimler Enstitüsü.
- Li, X., Wang, S., S. & Wang, X. (2019). Trust and IPO underpricing, Journal of Corporate Finance, 56(1), 224-248.
- Logue, D.E. (1973). On The Pricing of Unseasoned Equity Issues: 1965-1969. Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, 8 (1). 91 - 103.
- Massa, M. & Zhang, L. (2021). Local investor horizon clientele and IPO underpricing, Journal of Financial Markets, 54 (1),1-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.finmar.2020.100587
- Pamukçu, A. & Öztürk, E. (2018). Low price inthe First Public Offers in the Exchange Rate of Istanbul, Journal of Accounting and Public Finance, 1(2), 21-35.
- Ritter, J. R. (1984). The Hot Issue Market of 1980. Journal of Business, 57 (2). 215 -240.
- Rock, K. (1986). Why New Issues Are Underpriced. Journal of Financial Economics, (15), 187 - 212.
- Setya, Vabila Ananta; SUPRIANI, Indri; FIANTO, Bayu Arie. Determinants of Underpricing in Islamic and Non-Islamic Shares on IPO. Shirkah: Journal of Economics and Business, [S.l.], v. 5, n. 1, p. 70-100, apr. 2020. ISSN 2503-4243. Available at: <http://shirkah.or.id/new-ojs/index.php/home/article/view/276>. Date accessed: 19 nov. 2021. doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.22515/shirkah.v5i1.276.
- Tammi, W. (2021). Board Gender Diversity and the Underpricing and Long-Run Performance of Initial Public Offerings: Evidence from Finland, Master’s Thesis in Finance, University of VAASA.
- Tuncay, E., Karan, M. & Aydin, E., M. (2020). Underpricing of initial public offerings in hot and cold markets: An empirical study on Borsa Istanbul, Central European Review of Economics and Management (CEREM), 4(2), 107-135.
- Valta, P. & Jakob, S. (2021). What Do Market Participants Learn From Share Repurchase Announcements?, Available at SSRN: https://ssrn.com/abstract=3892063 or http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.3892063
- Welch, I. (1989). Seasoned Equity Offerings, Imitation Costs And The Underpicing of Initial Public Offerings. The Journal of Finance, 44 (2). 421 - 449.
- West, R. (1965). New Issue Concessions on Municipal Bonds: A Case of Monopsony Pricing. The Journal of Business, 38(2), 135–148. http://www.jstor.org/stable/2350778
- Yi, J – H. (1992). A Re Examination of The Long - Run Performance of Initial Public Offerings. Summer Research Paper, Southern California University.