Financial analysis of pure-play internet banks: South Korea (Kakao Bank, K Bank) and England (Atom Bank, Monzo Bank) experience
- Saf İnternet Bankacılığı, Saf Dijital Bankalar, Saf Web Bankacılığı, Saf Çevrim içi Bankacılığı, Servis Modeli Bankacılığı, Finansal Analiz
- Pure-play Internet Banking, Digital-only Banking, Web-only Banking, Online-only Banking, Challenger Banks, Financial Analysis
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022 Hüseyin Öcal
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
This study aims to measure the financial performance of the prominent pure-play internet banks operating in South Korea and England using ratio analysis. Pure-play internet banks could be launched soon in Turkey. The study sheds light on the regulatory authorities and the banks adopting the pure-play internet banking business model. Kakao Bank and K Bank (pure-play internet banks in South Korea) for the 2018-2020 period are obtained from the FSS (Financial Supervisory Service) Financial Statistics Information System. The annual financial data of Atom bank and Monzo bank (pure-play internet banks in England) for the 2018-2020 period are acquired from the annual financial reports of the associated banks. Kakao Bank can be a role model for other pure internet banks in profitability, income/cost ratio, and economies of scale. Two years after Kakao Bank became operational, it succeeded in making profits by taking advantage of economies of scale and managing the income/cost ratio effectively. The main difficulties experienced by K Bank, Atom Bank, and Monzo Bank are the high operating expenses and the fact that they have not taken advantage of economies of scale. In other words, they cannot generate enough operating income to cover their operating expenses. These banks will achieve profitability to the extent that they grow their assets profitably and reduce their operating costs. Besides, Monzo Bank's strategy to increase its net non-interest income can be a role model for other pure internet banks.
- Arnold, I. J.,& van Ewijk, S. E. (2011). Can pure play internet banking survive the credit crisis?.Journal of Banking & Finance, 35(4), 783-793.
- Chris, S. (2015). Digital dank digital bank: Strategies to launch or become a digital bank. Marshall Cavendish International (Asia) Pte L., 1-145.
- Cyree, K.B., Delcoure, N., Dickens, R., 2009. An examination of the performance and prospects for the future of Internet-primary banks. Journal of Economics and Finance 33, 128–147.
- Dandapani, K. and Lawrence, E. (2008) ‘Virtual bank failures: an investigation’, Managerial Finance, Vol. 34, No. 6, pp.399–412.
- Delgado, J.,Hernando, I., Nieto, M.J., 2007. Do European primarily internet banks show scale and experience efficiencies? European Financial Management 13,643–671.
- Dermine, J., 2005. Le tauxmodèle: ING Direct, a growing success story. INSEAD case study.
- DeYoung, R. (2001). The financial performance of püre play internet banks. Economic Perspectives-Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, 25(1), 60-73.
- DeYoung, R., 2005. The performance of Internet-based business models: Evidence from the banking industry. Journal of Business 78, 893–947.
- EY. (2017). EY Fintech Adoption Index 2017: The Rapid Emergence of Fintech. 1- 44. https://www.ey.com/Publication/vwLUAssets/ey-fintech-adoption-index2017/$FILE/ey-fintech-adoption-index-2017.pdf (17 Temmuz 2021’de ulaşıldı).
- Foos, D.,Norden, L., Weber, M., (2010). Loan growth and riskiness of banks. Journal of Banking and Finance 34, 2929–2940.
- FSS (Financial Supervisory Service). n.d. Financial Statistics Information System. Retrieved from http://efisis.fss.or.kr (16 Temmuz 2021’de ulaşıldı).
- Furst, K.,Lang, W. and Nolle, D. (2002) ‘Internet banking’, Journal of Financial Services Research, Vol. 22, No. 1, pp.95–117.
- Guettler, A. and Hackethal, A. (2005) How ING-DiBa conquered the German retail banking market, Working paper.
- Heskett, J.L., (2005). ING Direct. Harvard Business School Case Study.
- https://efisis.fss.or.kr/fss/fsiview/indexw.html (2020). Capital adequacy. http://efisis.fss.or.kr/fss/fsiview/indexw.html (23 Temmuz 2021’de ulaşıldı).
- Jeffrey, P. (2014). 3 Tips to deliver different, Credit unicom times.
- Kim, D.W. and Kim, S. C. (2017). Factors to influence switching intention to internet-only bank from Legacy Bank: Focused on financial consumers’ asset management, The Korean Association for Information Society, 18(1), 105-134.
- Momparler, A.,Climent, F. and Ballester, J. (2012) ‘The impact of scale effects on the prevailing internet-based banking model in the US’, Service Business, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp.177–195.
- Onado, M., (2009). Northern Rock: Just the tip of the iceberg. In: Bruni, F.,Llewellyn, D.T. (Eds.), The Failure of NorthernRock: A Multi-Dimensional Case Study. SUERF, Vienna, pp. 99–116.
- Pennathur, A. (2001) ‘“Clicks and bricks”: e-risk management for banks in the age of the internet’, Journal of Banking and Finance, Vol. 25, No. 11, pp.2103–2123.
- Ünsal, A., Duman, S..(2005). Türkiye’deki Bankaların Performanslarının Temel Bileşenler Yaklaşımı İle Karşılaştırmalı Analizi, VII. Ulusal Ekonometri ve İstatistik Sempozyumu, 26-27 Mayıs 2005.
- Verweire, K., Van den Berghe, L.A.A., (2007). ING Direct: Rebel in the banking industry. Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School Case Study
- Wolf, M.,(2009). Fixing Global Finance. Yale University Press, New Haven.
- www. openknowledge.worldbank.org (2020). Digital banks: Lessons from Korea. https://openknowledge.worldbank.org/bitstream/handle/10986/34701/Digital-Banks-Lessons-from Korea.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y (10 Temmuz 2021’de ulaşıldı).
- www.atombank.co.uk (2020). Annual report. https://www.atombank.co.uk/~/docs/annual report-19-20.pdf (25 Temmuz 2021’de ulaşıldı).
- www.atombank.co.uk (2020). Annual report. https://www.atombank.co.uk/~/docs/annual-report-19-20.pdf (25 Temmuz 2021’de ulaşıldı), s.114.
- www.bis.org (2020). Minimum capital requirements for market risk. https://www.bis.org/bcbs/publ/d457.pdf (12 Kasım 2021’de ulaşıldı).
- www.bis.org (2020).Policy responses to fintech: a cross-country overview. https://www.bis.org/fsi/publ/insights23.pdf (25 Temmuz 2021’de ulaşıldı).
- www.bloomberght.com,(2021). N26. https://www.bloomberght.com/dijital-bankacilik-devi-n26-turkiye-pazari-icin-bddk-nin-kapisini-caldi-2287446 (10 Aralık 2021’de ulaşıldı).
- www.ceicdata.com, (2020). South Korea non-performing loan ratio of banks. https://www.ceicdata.com/en/indicator/korea/non-performing-loans-ratio (10 Aralık 2021’de ulaşıldı).
- www.investing.com (2021). KakaoBank bilançosu. https://tr.investing.com/equities/kakaobank-balance-sheet(07 Kasım 2021’de ulaşıldı).
- www.monzo.com (2020). Annual report. https://monzo.com/static/docs/monzo-annual-report-2020.pdf (20 Temmuz 2021’de ulaşıldı).
- www.monzo.com (2020). Annual report. https://monzo.com/static/docs/monzo-annual-report-2020.pdf (20 Temmuz 2021’de ulaşıldı), s.127.
- www.statista.com (2021). Annual average interest rate of new mortgage loans in South Korea. https://www.statista.com/statistics/1119948/south-korea-average-interest-rate-new-mortgage-loans/ (27 Temmuz 2021’de ulaşıldı).
- www.statista.com (2021). Average interest rates for mortgages in the United Kingdom (UK). https://www.statista.com/statistics/386301/uk-average-mortgage-interest-rates/ (28 Temmuz 2021’de ulaşıldı).
- www.statista.com (2021). Common equity tier one capital ratios of the United Kingdoms largest banks. https://www.statista.com/statistics/1113592/common-equity-tier-one-capital-ratios-of-the-united-kingdoms-largest-banks/(10 Aralık 2021’de ulaşıldı).
- www.statista.com (2021). Cost to income ratios for banks in Europe by country. https://www.statista.com/statistics/728483/cost-to-income-ratios-for-banks-in-europe-by-country/ (12 Temmuz 2021’ de ulaşıldı).
- www.statista.com(2021). Banking system return on equity UK. https://www.statista.com/statistics/810194/banking-system-return-on-equity-uk/ (10 Aralık 2021’de ulaşıldı).
- www.statista.com(2021). Cost to income ratios for banks in Europe by country. https://www.statista.com/statistics/728483/cost-to-income-ratios-for-banks-in-europe-by-country/ (10 Aralık 2021’de ulaşıldı).
- www.statista.com(2021). Non-performing bank loans in Europe. https://www.statista.com/statistics/1122984/non-performing-bank-loans-in-europe/ (10 Aralık 2021’de ulaşıldı).
- www.statista.com, (2021). South Korea capital adequacy ratio of banks. https://www.statista.com/statistics/1239105/south-korea-capital-adequacy-ratio-of-banks/ (10 Aralık 2021’de ulaşıldı).
- www.statista.com, (2021). South Korea ROA of domestic banks. https://www.statista.com/statistics/1234971/south-korea-roa-of-domestic-banks/ (10 Aralık 2021’de ulaşıldı).
- www.statista.com, (2021). South Korea total assets of commercial banks by assets type. https://www.statista.com/statistics/1237772/south-korea-total-assets-of-commercial-banks-by-type/ (10 Aralık 2021’de ulaşıldı).
- Zhang, Y.,Teague, C. E., Hucks, R., & Robison, K. (2020). Have pure-play internet banks caughtup with traditional and hybridbanks over the past decade?. International Journal of Electronic Finance, 10(1-2), 23-42.