Six Sigma is one of the latest quality improvement initiatives that have gained popularity and recognition in many sectors worldwide. It is expected that Six Sigma approach will also be adopted in the tourism sector, ensuring high service quality. This study aimed at applying a Six Sigma model to improve the service process of a five-star hotel located in the city centre. A total of 357 samples with sufficient data quality were taken from 386 questionnaire forms presented to the hotel customers. The data obtained were analyzed with Six Sigma methods and tools. The five steps, which are the expansion of DMAIC methodology, consisting of define, measure, analyze, improve and control, were followed from among these methods. The current situation of the hotel was defined in the first phase; sigma level about the service quality was calculated in measuring phase; the measurements were interpreted, and proposed solutions for the problems regarding improvement activities were presented in the analyzing phase; and lastly, controls to be carried out to ensure the continuity of these improvements were explained. One of the aims of the study is to examine with the Servqual model, whether there is a difference between the quality of service expected and perceived by customers who purchase services from an accommodation facility. A questionnaire based on the Servqual model, which consists of tangibles, reliability, empathy, responsiveness and assurance dimensions, was designed and used as a data collection tool. According to the results obtained, it was found that the expectations of the customers regarding hotel services in general, could not be met. The sigma score of the hotel was calculated as 2,01. In the study, tangibles and reliability dimensions were found to be the lowest level of satisfaction among hotel customers.
- Antony, J. and Banuelas, R. (2002). "Key ingredients for the effective implementation of six sigma program". Measuring Business Excellence, (6)4: 20-7.
- Antony, J. (2006)." Six sigma for service processes". Business Process Management,(12)2: 234-248.
- Antony, J. and Kumar, M. (2008). Six Sigma in a Hotel Industry: Some Preliminary Observations and Agenda for Future Research. Jaakko Kujala ve Päivi Iskanius (Ed.). Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Productivity and Quality Research ICPQR 2008: Productivity and Quality in Knowledge-based Organizations. University of Oulu, Department of Industrial Engineering and Management International Society of Productivit and Quality Research, s. 23-31, Oulu, Finland.
- Aslan D. and Demir S. (2005). “Laboratuvar Tıbbında Altı Sigma Kalite Yönetimi”. Turk J Biochem, 30 (4): 272-278.
- Bhale, N., Srividhya P., Marriappan V., Sony M. And Belokar V. (2017). "Six Sigma In Service: Insights From Hospitality Industry", 6 (2): 1-10.
- Bircan, H. and Köse, S.(2012).“Altı Sigma ve Firmaların Altı Sigmaya Bakış Açısı: Sivas- Kayseri İli Örneği”. Ekonomik ve Sosyal Araştırmalar Dergisi, 8(2): 107-129.
- Blesic, I.,Ivkov, A., Stankov, U., Stamenkovic, I.ve Bradic, M. (2011). "Research of Expected and Perceived Service Quality in Hotel Management". Revista De Turism - Studii Si Cercetari in Turism, 0(11): 6-14.
- Cengiz Ö. (2015). Altı Sigma Kalite Felsefesinin Hizmet Sektöründe Uygulanması: Bir Turizm İşletmesi Örneği. Yüksek Lisans Tezi, Kafkas Üniversitesi, Sosyal Bilimler Enstitüsü, Kars.
- Carley S. (2014). The Applicability of the Human Sigma Model to Service Quality Management in the U.K. Tourism Industry: an operational analysis, Doktora Tezi. University of Central Lancashire.
- Chakrabarty A. and Tan C. (2007). "The current state of six sigma application in services”. Managing Service Quality: An International Journal, (17)2: 194-208.
- Cristina M., Olimpia S. And Daniel B. (2018). “Six Sigma Application for the Hotel Industry”. New Trends in Sustainable Business and Consumption, p. 383-390, Heidelberg, Germany.
- Esenkal, F. (2006). Kalite yönetiminde Altı Sigma ve otel işletmelerinde bir uygulama denemesi. Yüksek Lisans Tezi. Balıkesir Üniversitesi Sosyal Bilimler Enstitüsü, Balıkesir.
- Gürsakal, N. (2005). Altı Sigma-Müşteri Odaklı Yönetim. Nobel Yayınları, Ankara.
- Kamar S.M. (2014). “Six-Sigma Application in the Hotel Industry: Is It Effective for Performance Improvement?” Research Journal of Management Sciences, 3(12):1-14.
- Kwak, Y.H. and Anbari, F.T. (2006). “Benefits, obstacles and future of six sigma approach”. Technovation, (26)5: 708-715.
- Kumar, M., Antony, J., Madu, C.N., Montgomery, D.C. and Park, S.H. (2008). “Common myths of six sigma demystified”. International Journal of Quality and Reliability Management, (25)8: 878-95.
- Kumar S.,Phillips A. ve Rupp J. (2009). “Using Six Sigma DMAIC to design a high-quality summer lodge operation” Journal of Retail and Leisure Property, 8(3):173-191.
- Lahap, J., Bahri, K., Johari,, N., Zulkapli M., and Said N. (2017). “Six Sigma and the Malaysian Hotel Industry”. Journal of Tourism and Hospitality, 6 (6): 1-8.
- Lee, B.B., Seo, W.S. and Zhao, J. (2012). “Managers’ perception of six sigma focused on hotels in the U. S”. Korea Academic Society of Hotel Administration, 21(1): 37-59.
- Mast, J. and Lokkerbol, J. (2012). “An analysis of the Six Sigma DMAIC method from the perspective of problem solving”. International Journal of Production Economics, 139(2): 604-614.
- Mitra, A. (2004). “Six Sigma education: a critical role for academia”. TQM magazine, 16 (4): 293-302.
- Montgomery, D. C. and Woodall, W. H. (2008). “An Overview of Six Sigma”. International Statistical Review, 76(3): 329-346.
- Moralıoğlu, A. (2010). Hizmet İşletmelerinde Altı Sigma ve Otelcilik Sektöründe Uygulaması. Yüksek Lisans Tezi. Dokuz Eylül Üniversitesi Sosyal Bilimler Enstitüsü, İzmir.
- Noone, B. M., Namasivayam, K., and Tomlinson, H. S. (2010). “Examining the application of six sigma in the service exchange”. Managing Service Quality. 20(3): 273-293.
- Öztürk, İ. (2017). “Altı Sigma, Yalın Üretim ve Yalın Altı Sigma Metodolojisinin Tarımsal İşletmelerde Verimlilik ve Kalite Üzerine Etkisi”, KSÜ Doğa Bil. Dergisi., 20(3): 201-208.
- Pande, S.P., Neuman, P. R. and Cavanagh, R. R. (2012). Six Sigma Yolu. (Çev. N.Güder ve G.Tokcan). Klan Yayınları, İstanbul.
- Parasuraman, A., Zeithaml, V. A. ve Berry, L. L. (1985). “A Conceptual Model of Service Quality and Its Implications for Future Research”. Journal of Marketing, (49)4: 41-50.
- Parasuraman, A., Zeithaml, V. A. ve Berry, L. L. (1988). “Servqual: A Multiple- Item Scale for Measuring Consumer Perceptions of Service Quality”. Journal of Retailing, 64(1):12-40.
- Pyzdek, T. and Keller, P.A. (2010). The Six Sigma Handbook: A Complete Guide for Green Belts, Black Belts, and Managers at All Levels. McGraw-Hill, New York.
- Senger, Ö. ve Cengiz, Ö. (2018). “Implementation Six Sigma of Service Industry: A Case of Tourism Industry”. The Journal of Operations Research, Statistics, Econometrics and Management Information Systems, 6(1): 151-176.
- Yılmaz, M.R. and Chatterjee, S. (2000). “Six sigma beyond manufacturing- a concept for robust management”. IEEE Engineering Management Review, (28)4: 73-80.
- Yüksel, G.(2008). 6 Sigma Yaklaşımının Hizmet Sektöründe Kullanılması ve Konaklama İşletmelerinde Uygulanabilirliği. Yüksek Lisans Tezi, Anadolu Üniversitesi Sosyal Bilimler Enstitüsü, Eskişehir.