EFFECTS OF TEAM-MEMBER EXCHANGE ON EMPLOYEE PERFORMANCE
- Team-Member Exchange, Task Performance, Contextual Performance
- Takım-Üye Etkileşimi, Görev Performansı, Bağlamsal Performans.
How to Cite
This study was carried out to determine the effects of team-member exchange on employee performance. In this context, task performance and contextual performance, the most widely accepted predictors of employee performance, were examined. The rationale behind choosing this subject was that relations between team members and the perception of these relations by employees were becoming more and more critical since the teamwork was much more engaged in professional life. Furthermore, it was thought that team-member exchange affects employee performance, which is one of the essential measures of work output. When investigating the subject, both theoretical and empirical studies were carried out. A questionnaire was conducted with a total of 403 employees working in six manufacturing firms in Kayseri, one of the most important industrial provinces of Turkey. Correlation analysis revealed significant correlations between team-member exchange and task performance. Moreover, there were also significant positive correlations between team-member exchange and contextual performance. Regression analysis revealed that team-member exchange had significant positive impacts on both task and contextual performance. In line with the findings of the present study, recommendations were provided to organization executives and researchers.
- Akdoğan, A., A., Cingöz, A. and Selen Oflazer Mirap, S., O. (2009) Lider-Üye Etkileşiminin/Değişiminin Yenilikçi İş Performansı, Görev Performansı ve Bağlamsal Performans Üzerindeki Etkisinin Belirlenmesi 17. Ulusal Yönetim ve Organizasyon Kongresi Bildiriler Kitabı” Eskişehir, 380-381.
- Aktaş, H. ve Şimşek, E. (2014). Örgütsel Sessizlik ile Algilanan Bireysel Performans, Örgüt Kültürü ve Demografik Değişkenler Arasindaki Etkileşim. Akdeniz Üniversitesi İktisadi ve İdari Bilimler Fakültesi Dergisi, 14(28), 24-52.
- Alge, B.J., Wiethoff, C. and Klein, H.J. (2003). When Does the Medium Matter? Knowledge-Building Experiences and Opportunities in Decision-Making Teams, Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 91, 2003, 26–37.
- Allison, B. B., (2016) An Examination of Leader-Member Exchange and Team Effectiveness, Clemson University The Graduate School of Industrial and Organizational Psychology, Clemson, (The Degree of Doctor of Philosophy).
- Alparslan, A. M. and Can, A. (2015). The Antecedents of Extra-Role Organizational Behaviors: A Qualitative Research on Soldier, Journal of Business Research Turk, 7 (1), 26-42.
- Banks, G.C., J. H. Batchelor, J. H., Seers, A., O'Boyle Jr., E. H., Pollack, J. M. and Gover, K. (2014). What Does Team-Member Exchange Bring to the Party? A Meta-Analytic Review of Team and Leader Social Exchange, Journal of Organizational Behaviour, Vol. 35 Issue 2, February 2014, 273-295.
- Borman, W. C. and Motowidlo, S.J. (1997) Task Performance and Contextual Performance: The Meaning for Personnel Selection Research, Human Performance, 10 (2), 99-109.
- Cogliser, C. C., Gardner, W., Trank, C. Q., Gavin, M., Halbesleben, J., & Seers, A. (2013). Not all group exchange structures are created equal: Effects of forms and levels of exchange on work outcomes in virtual teams. Journal of Leadership & Organizational Studies, 20(2), 242-251.
- Fluid Surveys University, [Online] available at http://fluidsurveys.com/university/survey-sample-size-calculator/ accessed on July 2017.
- Gujarati, D. N., and Porter, D. (2009) Basic Econometrics. (5th ed.). New York: McGraw-Hill Irwin.
- Hair, J., Anderson, R., Tatham, R. and Black, W. (1992) Multivariate Data Analysis, second ed. Macmillan Publishing Company, New York.
- Han, T., Chiang, H. and Chiang, C. (2013) The Investigation of the Relation between Person-organization Fit, Person-job Fit, Psychological Ownership, and Contextual Performance: A Longitudinal Approach Proceedings of International Conference on Information and Social Science (ISS) & International Symposium on Marketing, Logistics, and Business (MLB) Nagoya, 274-299.
- Ilgen, D. R., J.R. Hollenbeck, M. Johnson and Dustin Jundt. (2005). Teams in Organizarions: From Input-Process-Output Models to IMOI Models, Annu. Rev. Psychol., 56, 517-543.
- Kamdar, D. and Van Dyne, L. (2007). The Joint Effects of Personality and Workplace Social Exchange Relationships in Predicting Task Performance and Citizenship Performance, Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol. 92, Number 5, 1286-1298.
- Kayseri Valiliği Çevre ve Şehircilik İl Müdürlüğü Çed İzin ve Denetim Şube Müdürlüğü, Kayseri İli 2015 Yılı Çevre ve Durum Raporu, (Kayseri Province 2015 Yearly Environment and Situation Report), Kayseri 2016.
- Kidney, R. A., (2013) The Relationship Between Attachment Styles and Employee Creativity: Evidence from the Engineering Industry, Dublin City University Business School, Dublin, (The Degree of Doctor of Philosophy).
- Klein, K. J. and Kozlowski, S. W. J. (2000). Multilevel Theory, Research, and Methods in Organizations Foundations, Extensions and New Directions, Jossey-Bass A Wiley Company, First Edition, San Francisco.
- Kozlowski, S. W. J. and Bell, B. S. Bell (2001). Work Groups and Teams in Organizations, Cornell University ILR School Articles and Chapters ILR Collection, 1-82. [Online] available at http://digitalcommons.ilr.cornell.edu/articles accessed on February 2017.
- Lau, R. S. (2009) A Group-Level Examination of the Impact of Leader-Member Exchange and Justice Climates on Team-Member Exchange, The Annual Meeting of the Academy of International Business – Southeast Asia Regional Conference, Hong Kong. [Online] available at http://www.ouhk.edu.hk/ wcsprd/Satellite?pagename=OUHK/tcSingPage&c=C_BA&cid=191116030400&lang=eng&pri=2 accessed on March 2017.
- Liden, R. C., Wayne, S. J. and Sparrowe, R. T. (2000). An Examination of the Mediating Role of Psychological Emprowerment on the Relations Between the Job, Interpersonal Relationships and Word Outcomes, Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol. 85 Number 3, 407-416.e
- Liu,Y., Keller, R. T. and Shih, H. (2011). The Impact of Team-Member Exchange, Differentiation, Team Commitment, and Knowledge Sharing on R & D Project Team Performance, Blackwell Publishing Ltd. R & D Management, 41, 3, 274-287.
- Liu, Y., Loi, R. and Lam, L. W. (2011). Linking Organizational Identification and Employee Performance in Teams: the Moderating Role of Team-Member Exchange, The International Journal of Human Resource Management, Vol. 22, Number 15, 3187–3201.
- Motowidlo, S. J., Borman, W. C., and Schmit, M. J. (1997). A Theory of Individual Differences in Task and Contextual Performance, Human Performance, 10, 2, 71-83. Motowidlo, Stephan J. and Van Scotter, J. R. (1994). Evidence that Task Performance Should be Distinguished from Contextual Performance, Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol. 79, 475-480.
- Motowidlo, S. J. (2003). Job Performance, 39-53, in Handbook of Psychology Volume 12 Industrial and Organizational Psychology, Eds. Borman, Walter C., Daniel R. Ilgen, Richard J. Klimoski, John Wiley and Sons, New Jersey.
- Murphy, K., R. and Shiarella, A. H. (1997) Implication of the Multidimensional Nature of Job Performance for the Validity of Selection Tests: Multivariate Frameworks for Studying Test Validity", Personnel Psychology, 50, 832.
- Nakip, M. (2013). Pazarlamada Araştırma Teknikleri, (Research Techniques in Marketing),Seçkin Yayıncılık, Üçüncü Baskı, Ankara.
- Özkan, Ü. A. and Börekçi, D. Y. (2013) Farklı Lider-Üye ve Ekip-Üye Kombinasyonlarının Göreceli Yoksunluk ve Pozitif Örgütsel Davranış Bağlamında İş Sonuçlarına Etkisi, 1. Örgütsel Davranış Kongresi Bildiriler El Kitabı, Sakarya 2013, 110-116.
- Pollack, J. M. and Rutherford, M. W. (2008). Social Ties and Team-Member Exchange as Antecedents to Firm Performance, Frontiers of Entrepreneurship Research, Vol. 28, Issue 7, Temmuz, 1.
- Pollack, J. M., Rutherford, M. W., Seers, A., Anthony, E. C., and Hanson, S. (2016). Exploring Entrepreneurs' Social Network Ties: Quantity Versus Quality, Journal of Business Venturing Insights, Vol. 6, Aralık.
- Polatcı, S. (2014) Psikolojik Sermayenin Görev ve Bağlamsal Performans Üzerindeki Etkileri: Polis Teşkilatında Bir Araştırma, Ege Akademik Bakış, Cilt 14, Sayı, 1 Ocak, 115-124.
- Rudman, R. (2003). Performance Planning and Review Making Employee Appraisals Work, Allen & Unwin, Second Edition, Sydney.
- Schmitt, N., Cortina, J. M., , Ingerick M. J. and Wiechmann D. (2003). Personnel Selection and Employee Performance, 77-105, in Handbook of Psychology Volume 12 Industrial and Organizational Psychology, Eds. Borman, Walter C., Daniel R. Ilgen, Richard J. Klimoski, John Wiley and Sons, New Jersey.
- Seers A., (1989). Team-Member Exchange Quality: A New Construct for Role-Making Research, Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 43, 118-135.
- Seers, A., Ford, L. R., Wilkerson, J. M., and Moormann, T. E. (2001). The Generation of Influence: Effects of Leader–Member Exchange and Team–Member Exchange Paper Presented at The Annual Meetings of the Southern Management Association, April, 1-22.
- Sonnentag, S and Frese, M. (2002). Performance Concepts and Performance Theory, 4-25, in Psychological Management of Individual Performance, Ed. Sonnentag, Sabine, John Wiley and Sons West Sussex.
- Shentu, Teng, Halim, V., Kusna, J. K. and Kusna, J. K. (2013). Different Perception of Working Relationship in Intercultural Working Team, International Conference on Psychology in Healt Educational, Social, and Organization Setting Proceedings Book, Surabaya November, 766-774.
- Suskind, A. M., Behfar K. and Borcgrevink, C. P. (2006). An Explaration of the Relationship Between Communication Network Structures Team-Member Exchange Quality and Teamwork, 119-136, in Sharing Network Leadership, Eds. Graen George B. And Joni A. Graen, Information Age Publishing, Connecticut.
- Şahin, F., and Gürbüz, S. (2012) Kültürel Zekâ ve Öz-yeterliliğin Görev Performansı ve Örgütsel Vatandaşlık Davranışı Üzerinde Etkisi: Çokuluslu Örgüt Üzerinde Bir Uygulama. ISGUC The Journal of Industrial Relations and Human Resources, 14(2), 123-140.
- Timur, H. ve Kılıç, M. (2005). İş Değerlendirmesinde Puanlama Yöntemi (İki Örnek Uygulama), (Job Evaluation Scoring Method (Two Sample Application)), Hacettepe Üniversitesi Yayınları, Ankara.
- Tse, H. H. M. and Dasborough, M. T. (2008). A Study of Exchange and Emotions in Team Member Relationships, Group & Organization Management, Vol. 33, Number 2, April, 194-215.
- Tse, H. H. M. and Lawrence, S.A. (2010). Leader-Member Exchange Differentiation and Team Performance: The Role of Group Affective Climate Team-Member Exchange, Conference: 27th International Congress of Applied Psychology, Melbourne, 1-22. [Online] available at http:// www98.griffith.edu.au/dspace/bitstream/handle/10072/53522/83593_1.pdf?sequence=1 accessed on January 2016.
- Tuna, B. (2014) The Influence of Person-Orgaization Fit on Contextual Performance and Its Impact on Organizational Effectiveness: The Moderating Role Of Organizational Climate, Yeditepe University Graduate Institute of Social Sciences, İstanbul, (The Degree of Doctor of Philosophy).
- Tutar, H. ve Altınöz, M. (2010). Örgütsel İklimin İşgören Performansı Üzerine Etkisi: Ostim İmalât İşletmeleri Çalışanları Üzerine Bir Araştırma, (The Effect of Organizational Climate on Employee Performance: A Study on the Employees of Ostim Manufacturing Enterprises), Ankara Üniversitesi SBF Dergisi, 65, 2, 195-218.
- Ünlü O. ve Yürür, S. (2011) Duygusal Emek, Duygusal Tükenme ve Görev/Bağlamsal Performans İlişkisi: Yalova’da Hizmet Sektörü Çalışanları İle Bir Araştırma, Erciyes Üniversitesi İktisadi ve İdari Bilimler Fakültesi Dergisi, Cilt: 184 Sayı: 37, 183-207.
- Van Scotter, J. R. and Motowidlo, S. J. (1996). Interpersonal Facilitation and Job Dedication as Separate Facets of Contextual Performance, Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol 81. Number 5, 525-531.
- Williams, L. J. and Anderson, S. E. (1991). Job Satisfaction and Organizational Commitment as Predictors of Organizational Citizenship and In-Role Behaviours, Journal of Management, Vol. 7, Number 3, 601-617.
- Witt, L.A., Hochwarter, W. A., Thomas F. Hilton, T. F. and Hillman, C. M. (1999) Team-Member Exchange and Commitment to a Matrix Team, Journal of Social Behaviour and Personality, Vol. 14 No. 1, 63-74.