A STUDY ON THE MEDIATING ROLE OF TRUST FOR THE LEADER IN THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN TRANSFORMATIONAL LEADERSHIP AND ORGANIZATIONAL COMMITMENT
- Transformational Leadership, Trust, Organizational Commitment.
- Dönüşümcü liderlik, Güven, Örgütsel Bağlılık.
How to Cite
It is known that organizational commitment affects employee attitudes and performance in a way that contributes to business objectives. The positive effects of transformational leadership in increasing employee commitment have been demonstrated by many researchers. The aim of this study is to determine the mediating role of the trust for the leader on the effect of transformational leadership on continuance commitment, affective commitment and normative commitment, which are the sub-dimensions of organizational commitment. The sample of the study consists of 315 personnel working in Istanbul Dudullu Organized Industrial Zone and the data were obtained by survey method. SPSS 25.0 and AMOS 24.0 were used for data analysis. After the analysis, it was concluded that transformational leadership did not have a significant effect on affective commitment, but it had a significant and positive effect on continuance commitment and normative commitment. In addition, it has been found that trust for the leader has a mediating role in the relationship between transformational leadership and continuance commitment. In line with these results, it can be stated that leaders can increase willingness of employees to continue their existence in the organization by showing transformational leadership behaviors and creating a sense of trust in them.
- Aalen, O. O. ve Frigessi, A. (2007). What can statistics contribute to a causal understanding?. Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, 34(1), 155-168.
- Aiken, L. R. ve Groth-Marnat, G. (2005). Psychological testing and assessment (12. Edition). Boston: Pearson.
- Allen, N. J. ve Meyer, J. P. (1990). The measurement and antecedents of affective, continuance and normative commitment to the organization. Journal of Occupational Psychology, 63(1), 1-18.
- Antonakis, J., Avolio, B. J. ve Sivasubramaniam, N. (2003). Context and leadership: An examination of the nine-factor full-range leadership theory using the Multifactor Leadership Questionnaire. The Leadership Quarterly, 14(3), 261-295.
- Avolio, B. J. ve Bass, B. M. (1995). Individual consideration viewed at multiple levels of analysis: A multi-level framework for examining the diffusion of transformational leadership. The Leadership Quarterly, 6(2), 199-218.
- Baron, R. M. ve Kenny, D. A. (1986). The moderator–mediator variable distinction in social psychological research: Conceptual, strategic, and statistical considerations. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 51(6), 1173.
- Bass, B. M. ve Avolio, B. J. (1993). Transformational leadership and organizational culture. Public Administration Quarterly, 17(1), 112-121.
- Bass, B. M. ve Avolio, B. J. (1994). Introduction. Bass, B. M. ve Avolio, B. J. (Eds.) Improving organizational effectiveness through transformational leadership içinde (s. 1-8). Sage.
- Bass, B. M. ve Riggio, R. E. (2006). Transformational leadership (2. Edition). London: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Publishers.
- Bass, B. M. (1985). Leadership and performance beyond expectations. Collier Macmillan.
- Baykal, E. (2019). Creating Organizational Commitment Through Spiritual Leadership: Mediating Effect of Meaning at Work, BMIJ, 7 (2), 837-855. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.15295/bmij.v7i2.1113
- Bayram, N. (2013). Yapısal Eşitlik Modellemesine Giriş Amos Uygulamaları. Ezgi Kitabevi Yayınları.
- Blau, P. (1964). Power and exchange in social life. NY: John Wiley & Sons.
- Braun, S., Peus, C., Weisweiler, S. ve Frey, D. (2013). Transformational leadership, job satisfaction, and team performance: A multilevel mediation model of trust. The Leadership Quarterly, 24(1), 270-283.
- Burns, J. M. (1978). Leadership . New York: Harper & Row.
- Butler Jr, J. K. (1991). Toward understanding and measuring conditions of trust: Evolution of a conditions of trust inventory. Journal of Management, 17(3), 643-663.
- Cook, J. ve Wall, T. (1980). New work attitude measures of trust, organizational commitment and personal need non‐fulfilment. Journal of Occupational Psychology, 53(1), 39-52.
- Çerezci, E. T. (2010). Yapısal eşitlik modelleri ve kullanılan uyum iyiliği indekslerinin karşılaştırılması. (Yayınlanmamış doktora tezi). Gazi Üniversitesi Fen Bilimleri Enstitüsü, Ankara.
- Dirks, K. T. ve Ferrin, D. L. (2002). Trust in leadership: Meta-analytic findings and implications for research and practice. Journal of Applied Psychology, 87(4), 611–628.
- Downton, J. V. (1973). Rebel leadership: Commitment and charisma in the revolutionary process. Free Press.
- Fornell, C. ve Larcker, D. F. (1981). Structural equation models with unobservable variables and measurement error: Algebra and statistics. Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 18, 382-388
- Gillespie, N. A. ve Mann, L. (2004). Transformational leadership and shared values: The building blocks of trust. Journal of Managerial Psychology, 19(6), 588-607.
- Goodwin, V.L., Whittington, J.E., Murray, B. ve Nichols, T. (2015). Moderator or mediator? Examining the role of trust in the transformational leadership paradigm, Journal of Managerial Issues, 23(4), 409-425.
- Graen, G. B., & Uhl-Bien, M. (1995). Relationship-based approach to leadership: Development of leader-member exchange (LMX) theory of leadership over 25 years: Applying a multi-level multi-domain perspective. The leadership quarterly, 6(2), 219-247.
- Hair, J. F., Black, W. C., Babin, B. J., Anderson, R. E. ve Tatham, R. L. (2006). Multivariate data analysis. Boston: Pearson.
- Hoch, J. E., Bommer, W. H., Dulebohn, J. H. ve Wu, D. (2018). Do ethical, authentic, and servant leadership explain variance above and beyond transformational leadership? A meta-analysis. Journal of Management, 44(2), 501-529.
- Hu, L. T. ve Bentler, P. M. (1999). Cutoff criteria for fit indexes in covariance structure analysis: Conventional criteria versus new alternatives. Structural Equation Modeling: A Multidisciplinary Journal, 6(1), 1-55.
- Jackson, T. A., Meyer, J. P. ve Wang, X. H. (2013). Leadership, commitment, and culture: A meta-analysis. Journal of Leadership & Organizational Studies, 20(1), 84-106.
- Jain, P., Duggal, T. ve Ansari, A. H. (2019). Examining the mediating effect of trust and psychological well-being on transformational leadership and organizational commitment. Benchmarking: An International Journal, 26(5), 1517-1532.
- Katz, D., ve Kahn, R. L. (1978). The social psychology of organizations. (Vol. 2): Wiley New York.
- Loehlin, J. C. (2004). Latent variable models: An introduction to factor, path, and structural equation analysis. Psychology Press.
- MacKinnon, D. P., Fairchild, A. J. ve Fritz, M. S. (2007). Mediation analysis. Annual Review of Psychology, 58, 593-614.
- Maruyama, G. (1997). Basics of structural equation modeling. Sage.
- Mayer, R. C., Davis, J. H. ve Schoorman, F. D. (1995). An integrative model of organizational trust. Academy of Management Review, 20(3), 709-734.
- Meglino, B. M., Ravlin, E. C. ve Adkins, C. L. (1989). A work values approach to corporate culture: A field test of the value congruence process and its relationship to individual outcomes. Journal of Applied Psychology, 74(3), 424.
- Meral, Y. (2018). Banka birleşmeleri üzerine bir Araştırma, İstanbul: Beta Yayıncılık.
- Meyer, J. P. ve Allen, N. J. (1984). Testing the" side-bet theory" of organizational commitment: Some methodological considerations. Journal of Applied Psychology, 69(3), 372.
- Meyer, J. P. ve Allen, N. J. (1997). Commitment in the workplace: Theory, research, and application. Sage.
- Meyer, J. P., Allen, N. J. ve Smith, C. A. (1993). Commitment to organizations and occupations: Extension and test of a three-component conceptualization. Journal of Applied Psychology, 78(4), 538.
- Meyer, J. P., Stanley, D. J., Herscovitch, L. ve Topolnytsky, L. (2002). Affective, continuance, and normative commitment to the organization: A meta-analysis of antecedents, correlates, and consequences. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 61(1), 20-52.
- Mowday, R. T., Steers, R. M. ve Porter, L. W. (1979). The measurement of organizational commitment. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 14(2), 224-247.
- Noe, R. A., Hollenbeck, J. R., Gerhart, B. ve Wright, P. M. (2017). Human resource management: Gaining a competitive advantage. New York: McGraw-Hill Education.
- O'Reilly, C. A. ve Chatman, J. (1986). Organizational commitment and psychological attachment: The effects of compliance, identification, and internalization on prosocial behavior. Journal of Applied Psychology, 71(3), 492.
- Pillai, R., Schriesheim, C. A. ve Williams, E. S. (1999). Fairness perceptions and trust as mediators for transformational and transactional leadership: A two-sample study. Journal of Management, 25(6), 897-933.
- Podsakoff, P. M., MacKenzie, S. B., Moorman, R. H. ve Fetter, R. (1990). Transformational leader behaviors and their effects on followers' trust in leader, satisfaction, and organizational citizenship behaviors. The Leadership Quarterly, 1(2), 107-142.
- Raykov, T., & Marcoulides, G. A. (2006). A first course in structural equation modeling, 2nd ed. Mahwah, NJ, US: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates Publishers.
- Robbins, S. P. (2003). Organizational behavior (International Edition). New Jersey: Prentice Hall.
- Robinson, S. L. (1996). Trust and breach of the psychological contract. Administrative Science Quarterly, 41(4), 574-599.
- Rousseau, D. M., Sitkin, S. B., Burt, R. S. ve Camerer, C. (1998). Not so different after all: A cross-discipline view of trust. Academy of Management Review, 23(3), 393-404.
- Rua, M. M. D. L. ve Costa Araújo, J. M. (2016). Linking transformational leadership and organizational trust: has organizational commitment a mediating effect on it ?. Cuadernos de Gestion, 16(1), 43-62.
- Siegel, P., Brockner, J. ve Tyler, T. (1995). Revisiting the interactive relationship between procedural and distributive justice: The role of trust. Paper presented at the Academy of Management Meeting, Vancouver.
- Simons, T. L. (1999). Behavioral integrity as a critical ingredient for transformational leadership. Journal of Organizational Change Management, 12(2), 89-104.
- Tabachnick, B. G., & Fidell, L. S. (2007). Using multivariate statistics. Boston: Allyn & Bacon/Pearson Education.
- Walumbwa, F. O., Orwa, B., Wang, P. ve Lawler, J. J. (2005). Transformational leadership, organizational commitment, and job satisfaction: A comparative study of Kenyan and US financial firms. Human Resource Development Quarterly, 16(2), 235-256.
- Yukl, G. (1989). Managerial leadership: A review of theory and research. Journal of Management, 15(2), 251-289.
- Zhu, W., Avolio, B. J. ve Walumbwa, F. O. (2009). Moderating role of follower characteristics with transformational leadersihip and follower work engagement. Group & Organization Management, 34(5), 590-619.