INVESTIGATION OF DIGITAL CITIZENSHIP PERCEPTION: AN AMPIRICAL EVALUATION
- Digital Citizenship,
- Digital Transformation,
- Digital Literacy,
- Information Technologies
- Dijital Vatandaşlık,
- Dijital Dönüşüm,
- Dijital Okuryazarlık,
- Bilişim Teknolojileri
How to Cite
Developments in information technologies have forced individuals to become members of digital culture. The use of electronic media, especially since the last quarter of the 20th century, has transformed individuals with citizenship awareness into the concept of digital citizens. This study was conducted to measure the perception of digital citizenship of Marmara University, Department of Information and Record Management students. In the study, based on eight factors of digital citizenship (digital literacy, digital commerce, digital ethics, digital communication, digital access, digital health, digital security and digital law), an online survey was sent to 267 all students (267) who are enrolled undergraduate programme via e-mail and statistical analyses was performed with data from 174 students who answered the questionnaire. According to the results of the analysis, it was seen that students adopted the concepts of digital literacy, digital commerce, digital ethics, digital communication, digital access, digital security and digital law, which are the requirements of digital citizenship, however they did not consider the digital health factor.
- Bilgiç, H. G., Duman, D. ve Seferoğlu, S. S. (2011). Dijital Yerlilerin Özellikleri ve Çevrimiçi Ortamların Tasarlanmasındaki Etkileri, 13. Akademik Bilişim Konferansı Bildirileri, İnönü Üniversitesi, 257-263.
- Bochsler, D. (2010). Can Internet Voting Increase Political Participation? 16.02.2019 tarihinde https://www.eui.eu/Projects/EUDO-PublicOpinion/Documents/bochslere-voteeui2010.pdf adresinden erişildi.
- Buente, W. (2011). Modeling Citizenship Offline and Online: Internet Use, Information and Political Action During the 2008 Election Campaign (Doktora Tezi). ProQuest Dissertations and Theses Veritabanı (Erişim Numarası: 914225447) 22.03.2019 tarihinde https://proxy.sakarya.deep-knowledge.net/MuseSessionID=021155n7c/MuseProtocol=https/MuseHost=search.proquest.com/MusePath/pqdtglobal/docview/914225447/3A71615980004135PQ/1?accountid=13654 adresinden erişildi.
- Business Wire. (1999). Arizona Democratic Party Selects Votation.com to Hold World's First Legally-Binding Public Election. 11.02.2019 tarihinde https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Arizona+Democratic+Party+Selects+Votation.com+to+Hold+World's+First...-a058272337 adresinden erişildi.
- Choi, M. (2016). A Concept Analysis of Digital Citizenship for Democratic Citizenship Education in the Internet Age. Theory and Research in Social Education, 44(4), 565-607.
- Choi, M., Glassman, M. ve Cristol, D. (2017). What It Means to be a Citizen in the Internet Age: Development of a Reliable and Valid Digital Citizenship Scale. Computers&Education, 107, 100-112.
- Choi, M., Cristol, D. ve Gimber, B. (2018). Teachers as Digital Citizens: The Influence of Individual Backgrounds, Internet Use and Psychological Characteristics on Teachers’ Levels of Digital Citizenship. Computers&Education, 121, 143-161.
- Çokluk, Ö., Şekercioğlu, G. ve Büyüköztürk, Ş. (2012). Sosyal Bilimler İçin Çok Değişkenli İstatistik: SPSS ve Lisrel Uygulamaları, Pegem Akademi Yayıncılık: Ankara.
- Eid, M. ve Ward, S. (2009). Ethics, New Media and Social Networks. Global Media Journal, 2(1), 1-4.
- Eroğlu, Ş. ve Çakmak, T. (2014). Evaluation of Organizational Literacy in Context of Organizational Learning: A Literature Review. Serap K., Sonja S., Esther, G., Diane M. and Ralph C. (Eds.). Information Literacy Lifelong Learning and Digital Citizenship, 2nd European Conference, ECIL, 20-23 October 2014, Dubrovnik, Croatia içinde, (s. 540-549).Springer International Publishing, Switzerland.
- Germann, M. ve Serdült, U. (2017). Internet Voting and Turnout: Evidence from Switzerland. Electoral Studies, 47, 1-12.
- Hair, J. F., Black, B., Babin, B., Anderson, R. E. ve Burke, R. L. T. (2006). Multivariate Data Analysis. Pearson Prentice Hall: New Jersey.
- Hussein, M. M. ve Howard, P. N. (2013). What Best Explains Successful Protest Cascades? ICTs and the Fuzzy Causes of the Arab Spring. International Studies Review, 15, 48-66.
- İşman, A. ve Güngören, Ö. C. (2014). Digital Citizenship. TOJET: The Turkish Online Journal of Educational Technology, 13(1), 73-77.
- Jensen, A. P. (2008). Beyond Mediatized Transmissions of Youth Culture: A Study in Digital Citizenship. Youth Theatre Journal, 22(1), 94-107.
- Kakırman Yıldız, A. (2012). Dijital Yerliler Gerçekten Yerli mi Yoksa Dijital Melez mi? The Journal of Academic Social Science Studies, 5(7), 819-833.
- Karabulut, B. (2015). Bilgi Toplumu Çağında Dijital Yerliler, Göçmenler ve Melezler. Pamukkale Üniversitesi Sosyal Bilimler Enstitüsü Dergisi, 21, 11-23.
- Kim, M. ve Choi, D. (2018). Development of Youth Digital Citizenship Scale and Implication for Educational Setting. Educational Technology and Society, 21(1), 155-171.
- Moeller, S., Joseph, A., Lau, J. ve Carbo, T. (2011). Towards Media and Information Literacy Indicators. UNESCO: Paris.
- Mossberger K., Tolbert, C. J. ve McNeal, R. S. (2008). Digital Citizenship: The Internet, Society, and Participation. The MIT Press: Cambridge.
- Nuhoğlu Kibar, P. ve Akkoyunlu, B. (2014). A New Approach to Equip Students with Visual Literacy Skills: Use of Infographics in Education. Serap K., Sonja S., Esther, G., Diane M. and Ralph C. (Eds.). Information Literacy Lifelong Learning and Digital Citizenship, 2nd European Conference, ECIL, 20-23 October 2014, Dubrovnik, Croatia içinde, (s. 456-465).Springer International Publishing, Switzerland.
- O’Brien, R. M. (2007). A Caution Regarding Rules of Thumb for Variance Inflation Factors. Quality & Quantity, 41, 673-690.
- Ohler, J. (2010). Digital Community, Digital Citizen. Corwin Press: Thousand Oaks.
- Ohler, J. (2012). Digital Citizenship Means Character Education for the Digital Age. Education Digest: Essential Readings Condensed for Quick Review, 77(8), 14-17.
- Prensky, M. (2001). Digital Natives, Digital Immigrants Part 1. On the Horizon, 9(5), 1-6.
- Ribble, M. (2004). Digital Citizenship: Addressing Appropriate Technology Behavior. Learning and Leading with Technology, 32(1), 6-11.
- Ribble, M. (2011). Digital Citizenship in Schools. International Society for Technology in Education: Washington.
- Ribble, M. ve Bailey, G. D. (2006). Digital Citizenship at All Grade Levels. Learning Connections, March 2006, 26-33.
- Ribble, M., Bailey, G. D. ve Ross, T. W. (2004). Digital Citizenship: Addressing Appropriate Technology Behavior. Learning&Leading with Technology, 32(1), 7-12.
- Schuler, D. (2018). e-Democracy Won't Save Democracy, Democracy Will Save Democracy. Communications of the ACM, 61(8), 34-36.
- Soriani, A. (2018). From Media Education to Digital Citizenship: Origins, Perspectives and Policy Implementations in the School Systems Across Europe. Journal of Theories and Research in Education, 13(3), 85-122.
- Tabachnick, B. ve Fidell, L. S. (2001). Using Multivariate Statistics. Allyn and Bacon: Boston.
- Takavarasha, S., Cilliers, L. ve Chinyamurindi, W. (2018). Navigating the Unbeaten Track From Digital Literacy to Digital Citizenship: A Case of University Students in South Africa’s Eastern Cape Province. Reading and Writing, 9(1), 1-15.
- Thomas, S. N. (2018). Promoting Digital Citizenship in First-Year Students: Framing Information Literacy as a Tool to Help Peers. College and Undergraduate Libraries, 25(1), 52-64.
- TÜİK. (t.y.). Hanehalkı Bilişim Teknolojileri Kullanım Araştırması, 19.07.2019 tarihinde http://www.tuik.gov.tr/VeriBilgi.do?alt_id=1028 adresinden erişildi.
- UNESCO. (2011). Digital Literacy in Education. Policy Brief, May 2011, 1-12.
- Wang, K. ve Chen Z. (2016). Stepwise Regression and All Possible Subsets Regression in Education. Electronic International Journal of Education, Arts and Science, 2, 60-81.
- Winn, M. R. (2012). Promote Digital Citizenship Through School-Based Social Networking. Learning and Leading with Technology, 39(4), 10-13.
- Yaşlıoğlu, M. (2017). Sosyal Bilimlerde Faktör Analizi ve Geçerlilik: Keşfedici ve Doğrulayıcı Faktör Analizlerinin Kullanılması. İstanbul Üniversitesi İşletme Fakültesi Dergisi, 46, 74-85.
- Yılmaz, B. ve Soylu, D. (2014). The Role of Public Libraries in Information Literacy in Turkey: A Study of a Provincial Public Library. Serap K., Sonja S., Esther, G., Diane M. and Ralph C. (Eds.). Information Literacy Lifelong Learning and Digital Citizenship, 2nd European Conference, ECIL, 20-23 October 2014, Dubrovnik, Croatia içinde, (s. 642-651).Springer International Publishing, Switzerland.
- Zahrani, A. (2015). Toward Digital Citizenship: Examining Factors Affecting Participation and Involvement in the Internet Society Among Higher Education Students. International Education Studies, 8(12), 203-217.